Interesting People mailing list archives

Chip-Embedded Paper for Wireless Transmission

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:01:03 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: November 12, 2004 10:41:02 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ghicks () mailhub Cadence COM
Subject: Chip-Embedded Paper for Wireless Transmission

Dave:

Although this is a press release, it has interesting ramifications.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

http://www.physorg.com/news1917.html

Chip-Embedded Paper for Wireless Transmission

November 10, 2004

Japanese company Oji Paper announced November 8 that it has jointly
developed technology to embed semiconductor chips in paper during
papermaking processes. This invention was co-developed with two other
companies FEC Group and Toppan Forms.

According to the JCN network, the embedded chip is 0.5x0.5mm and comes
with a built-in antenna for wireless transmission at frequencies of
between 13.56MHz to 2.45GHz. This breakthrough technology enables mass
production of chip-embedded paper.

The new chip-embedded paper gets a bit thicker than regular paper, but
its printable property is comparable to regular paper.

The new technology is expected to be applied in lots of paper
products:  personal checks, paper bills, gift certificates, etc.

The paper is available in sheets and rolls. Oji demonstrates the
technology at Smart Labels Asia 2004 held in Tokyo from November 9 to
11.

About Oji Paper:

Major Business Lines of Oji Paper Co.,Ltd: Production,
conversion/processing and sales of printing, writing and related
papers; packaging and wrapping papers; carbonless papers; household
products; containerboard and boxboard. Production and sales of such
end-use products such as corrugated board and boxboard containers;
paper-board containers; plastics; thermal paper; self-adhesive paper
and disposable paper diapers. Production and sales of chemicals for
paper making and packaging equipment.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin