Interesting People mailing list archives

Unintelligent Designs -- substituting religion for science

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:53:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Barry Ritholtz <ritholtz () optonline net>
Date: November 12, 2004 6:19:54 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: scs () CampusClients com, tfairlie () frontiernet net, h_bray () globe com
Subject: Re: Unintelligent Designs -- substituting religion for science

Dear Dave,

I have to say that I am astonished that anyone -- even Hiawatha Bray --
would somehow suggest that a religious tract such as "intelligent design" somehow translates into mandating "more information" for high school students.
What about astrology? Numerology? Witchcraft? Do they count as "more"
information? Hey, its all just data!

That view is astoundingly, mind-numbingly naive -- or incredibly, stupendously idiotic. Now that I have exhausted my supply of adjectives for the month, I must
admit that I'm not sure which of these two sad states mind is worse.

But I do know this: After a few years, the Students of South-central Pennsylvania will find themselves at a competitive disadvantage when applying for jobs or to college. Darwinian competition will lead to these unfortunate students going to weaker schools, getting lower paying jobs, and (unfortunately) finding it more difficult to support a family. Hopefully, these mis-educated students will recall
what occurred and place appropriate blame where it belongs: on the
"unintelligent designs" of the school board.

It would be a great twist of irony if this line of thought led to an eventual end of the genetic experiment that is currently manifested as the adult population of South-central PA. But Darwinism doesn't work that way on a social level, and instead, this group will likely end up merely under-educated and under-compensated and a burden on the
rest of society. (Some may even become columnists).

Eventually, someone will look into why this town finds itself at a competitive
disadvantage with schools whose science courses actually teach science.
By then, real estate prices in the region will be depressed and an entire
generation of students will have fundamental misunderstandings about
the nature of the world they live in. But, hey, thats the advantage of local autonomy: People are free to be as idiotic as they want! Its unfortunate that students suffer from the lack of judgment of their elders, but I'm suspect
there is a Darwinian lesson in that also.

However, do not under any circumstances somehow confuse the establishment of the religious creationist belief in public schools as somehow equating to
"more information."  To do so is simply pathetic . . .

Astounded that we are having this conversation in 2004,

Barry L. Ritholtz
Chief Market Strategist
Maxim Group
britholtz () maximgrp com
(212) 895-3614
The Big Picture: A blog of capital markets, geopolitics, with a dash of film and music!
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/