Interesting People mailing list archives

ITU "spam" summit concludes in Geneva

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 05:43:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: July 10, 2004 9:21:27 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] ITU "spam" summit concludes in Geneva

[Note:  This item comes from reader Fred Maia.  DLH]

From: Fred Maia <fmaia () texas net>
Date: July 10, 2004 8:23:56 AM PDT
To: dewayne () warpspeed com
Subject: ITU "spam" summit concludes in Geneva

Wave of optimism as ITU WSIS meeting on countering spam closes
Priority actions identified to curb spam

Geneva, 9 July 2004 - Participants at the ITU WSIS thematic meeting on countering spam which concluded its work today agreed on a series of actions needed to curb spam. The watershed meeting was designed to launch a global effort that can ultimately lead to the eradication of spam. Based on a fruitful exchange of views and experiences, the meeting gave an opportunity to identify where priority action was needed.

"Spam has grown into a major plague affecting the digital world," said Dr Robert Horton, Acting Chair of the Australian Communications Authority and chairman of the meeting. "We are facing a global epidemic which can only be combated through a global and concerted action," he said. "What is at stake is no less than the protection and preservation of the Internet as we know it. I am convinced that we can curb spam within the next two years if we act on a number of fronts simultaneously and make sure that there are no havens for spammers anywhere in the world", Horton said.

 For full text see:
<http://www.itu.int/newsroom/press_releases/2004/17.html>

 Chairman's report see:

<http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/spam/chairman-report.pdf>