Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "RealNetworks responds to Apple"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:58:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: paul beard <paulbeard () mac com>
Date: July 30, 2004 2:47:48 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: more on "RealNetworks responds to Apple"

I don't get this: an iPod can play unlocked files just fine, as well as ones licensed through the iTunes Music Store. Those, in turn, can be unlocked with freeware tools like hymn (formerly PlayFair). What Real offers is not more freedom, but another DRM scheme to deal with (unless I missed something in the announcement). Users have always been able to put files on their iPod, regardless of provenance. What happens if I put a bunch of Rhapsody-locked files on mine and Apple renders Real's hack ineffective?

Consumers are still free to buy other players or put DRM-free files on their iPod: I don't see where Real offers anything but a thinly disguised and self-serving ploy that actually offers less freedom.
--
Paul Beard
<www.paulbeard.org/>