Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Fascinating Airline Security Story

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:13:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Perlman <perl () lucent com>
Date: July 20, 2004 4:24:41 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Fascinating Airline Security Story

Dave:

There is a disturbing undercurrent to this current discussion re: civil
rights and airline passengers. There appears to be an unstated association between "men of middle-eastern decent," the Moslem religion and terrorism.

I have seen groups of white, anglo-saxon (probably protestant) people arrive on planes in ones, twos and small groups, congregate, go to the bathroom,
talk in the aisle, etc.  Most of the time they were part of some team or
performing group and, as a native born American, their behaviors seemed
normal to me. By the same token, in my travels around the world I have seen
behaviors that were down-right odd, approaching the bizarre, that were
completely normal in the cultural context of my location at the time.

The point: that which we know, seems normal and safe, that which we do not
know may seem confusing, even threatening, even while, in the context of
another culture it would be perfectly normal.

So, we could certainly start treating people of "apparent middle-eastern
origin" differently, search them, etc.  Of course, we would then be
completely open to an attack of what looked like a college basketball team.

We must resist attempts to drag us into a state of jingoism and xenophobia
to protect us from a threat that may well be of our own making.

Richard