Interesting People mailing list archives

Visual Autopsy Of An ATM Card Skimmer

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:58:31 -0500

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:38:23 +0100
From: Peter Lowe <pgl () yoyo org>
Subject: Visual Autopsy Of An ATM Card Skimmer
To: dave () farber net

For IP, if you like.

From Slashdot:

        from the picture-taker-worth-a-thousand-bucks dept.

        Bert64 writes "A chap at work was recently the victim of an ATM
        card skimmer which took his card details, cloned them and
        allowed the fraudster to take 550 pounds out of his account.
        Having tried to explain how the fraudsters can hide a camera and
        card reader around the ATM, he decided it would be easier to
        show one of them after a few drinks down the pub. He was a
        little surprised to find that the machine he chose had a card
        reader and camera in place. These were removed and analysed, we
        believe we have reclaimed about 800 pounds worth of kit. Result:
        Pictures."

Pictures are at:

        http://atm.ev6.net/

--
The Czech Republic: Home of the world's finest beer.
Litres drunk by Czechs so far this year: 245,264,200.31

- http://prague.tv/toys/beer/