Interesting People mailing list archives

Kevin'sy VOIP testimony -- please consider for IP

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:22:37 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Werbach <Kevin () werbach com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:18:03
To:dave () FARBER NET
Subject: My VOIP testimony -- please consider for IP

Dave-

I am testifying this morning before the Senate Commerce Committee on the implications of voice over IP (VOIP)
technology.  This topic has received a great deal of press attention in recent months, and is only likely to generate
more interest as FCC and Congressional activity heat up.  The hearing will be streamed live beginning at 9:30am ET
today at <http://commerce.senate.gov/live.ram>.

I thought IP readers might be interested in my testimony.  In it, I argue that:

"We are witnessing the most significant change in telecommunications since Alexander Graham Bell called out for Mr.
Watson.  The growth of IP-enabled communications signifies nothing less than the transformation of the telecom
industry, and the entire information sector that depends upon it."

VOIP turns voice into a class of applications on data networks.  In so doing, it creates tremendous opportunities for
innovation, and for delivery of new communications capabilities to all Americans.  It also confounds attempts to apply
legacy regulation.    We must understand that VOIP is not just another way to implement traditional telephone service;
it is the leading edge of a new communications model.

Important public policy goals such as universal service, law enforcement access, consumer protection, disability
access, and emergency services must be met, but we must reform the mechanisms we use for the era of Internet-enabled
communications.  VOIP can help achieve those social goals.  However, only a national policy can ensure that unnecessary
regulation or regulatory uncertainty do not restrain the growth of this important technology.

My full written statement is available online at <http://werbach.com/docs/senatevoip.doc>.

-k-
KEVIN WERBACH                                       kevin () werbach com
Supernova Group LLC                      1 (877) 803-7101 (voice/fax)
http://werbach.com                       Weblog -- http://werblog.com

*** Supernova 2004 -- June 24-25 --  http://www.pulver.com/supernova/

-- Free Supernova Report http://www.pulver.com/reports/supernova/  --