Interesting People mailing list archives

Rangel's statement in response to right-wing criticisms

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:54:42 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Severo Ornstein <severo () poonhill com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:24:34 -0800
To: Recipient List Suppressed: ;
Subject: Rangel's statement in response to right-wing criticisms

Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY) has been attacked by right-wing
"patriots" after this TV appearance.  He has asked IFCO to distribute his
statement in response.  Please distribute it widely to your email contacts.

PRESS RELEASE
CONGRESSMAN CHARLES RANGEL
Contact:  Emile Milne  202 225-4365                             March 28,
2003

Statement by Hon. Charles Rangel
The War in Iraq: I Will Not Be Intimidated

Recently, on the Hannity and Colmes TV show, Sean Hannity challenged my
patriotism because  I said, "I just don't believe that you bomb women and
children in order to enforce something against a lying cheat."

50 years ago, I was a young American in combat,  fighting the communists in
North Korea.  Our soldiers are  brave young men and women just for being
there, and I know they're scared, like I was.  My heart truly goes out to
them--and to their families--who I know are praying and worried to death.

Our troops  don't know who is the enemy--whether they are men in uniforms
or in street clothes.  Our troops don't target men or women or
children.  They're in guerrilla warfare, and the only rule is to defend
themselves.  And no matter how much we do to pinpoint targets from the air,
bombs don't know the difference between  enemy troops and innocent people.

What Sean Hannity does not know, because he did not serve in the armed
forces,  is that soldiers obey the orders of the Commander-in-Chief. Our
troops are doing that.  But if we were not in this war, there would be no
bombing at all, and it would not be necessary to consider the issue of
"collateral damage."

Nothing is more precious to Americans than our freedom to speak out, to
disagree.  It's frightening that, in their passion for this war, some
people are accusing anyone who opposes it of being unpatriotic.  If members
of Congress are going to be attacked for fulfilling their responsibility to
their constituents to speak out on matters of war and peace, then we might
as well tear up the Constitution.

I do not support the war, but I revere the troops, and I am drafting
legislation  that will show, in a tangible way, the country's appreciation
for their sacrifice. The program will provide generous higher education and
health care benefits, for the troops after their discharge, their spouses
and children.  For those who wish to go into business, it will provide the
necessary resources.

Sean Hannity deliberately distorted my views on the program in his attempt
to challenge my patriotism.  I will continue speaking on behalf of my
constituents and in defense of the Constitution.  I will not be intimidated.
--

------ End of Forwarded Message