Interesting People mailing list archives

Analyzing three days of spammers' incoming mail

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:15:41 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:57:06 -0400
To: politech () politechbot com
Subject: FC: Analyzing three days of spammers' incoming mail

---

From: Karin Spaink <kspaink () xs4all nl>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 05:30:52 +0200

Declan,

On July 3 2003, cyberangels.nl was re-registered by Spamvrij.nl, a
Dutch foundation fighting spam. Previously, the domain was owned
by the company Cyberangels, who have been majorly involved in
spamming. They felt forced to drop it when the ground under their
feet got too hot. (The history of that affair is listed on our
main page, www.cyberangels.nl.)

Since MX-records for cyberangels.nl now point to spamvrij.nl too,
we get all their mail: bounces, spam complaints and what have
you. Have a peek: what kind of mail does a major spammer receive
in the course of three days? By now, we have a very precise
answer: 6305 mails. Here is the breakdown of those mails.

    1. Introduction: 6305 mails in (basically) three days
    2. We received 5880 bounces and forwards
    3. We received 12 spams for @cyberangels
    4. We received 40 attempts to annoy Cyberangels
    5. We received 371 complaints about Cyberangels
    6. We received 2 business mails

The full analysis is available at
    http://www.cyberangels.nl/evidence/mailfile.html

Karin Spaink
Spamvrij.nl board member

- K -
--
It's as if you're dying of thirst, and everyone around you is
offering you potato chips. They think they're being helpful...

------ End of Forwarded Message