Interesting People mailing list archives

"The Department of Homeland Security ate my dissertation..."

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:02:16 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <amicus () well com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:46:57 -0700
To: dave () farber net, declan () well com
Subject: "The Department of Homeland Security ate my dissertation..."

GMU grad student compiles extensive map of US fiber optic networks, starts
people worrying:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23689-2003Jul7.html?nav=hptop
_tb

"He can click on a bank in Manhattan and see who has communication lines
running into it and where. He can zoom in on Baltimore and find the choke
point for trucking warehouses. He can drill into a cable trench between
Kansas and Colorado and determine how to create the most havoc with a hedge
clipper. Using mathematical formulas, he probes for critical links, trying
to answer the question: "If I were Osama bin Laden, where would I want to
attack?" In the background, he plays the Beastie Boys.

For this, Gorman has become part of an expanding field of researchers whose
work is coming under scrutiny for national security reasons. His story
illustrates new ripples in the old tension between an open society and a
secure society."

Ross
amicus () well com
http://www.fuzzycloud.com