Interesting People mailing list archives

-- query from Iper SMS terror warning London IP piece - but will it work during terrorist attack when cell phone bandwidth is overloaded or commandeered for emergency use as has been mandated in US after 9/11

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:31:08 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Paul Foldes <pfoldes () eidmgt com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:00:53 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: SMS terror warning London IP piece - but will it work during
terrorist attack when cell phone bandwidth is overloaded or commandeered for
emergency use as has been mandated in US after 9/11

Dave, for IP, if you agree subject merits attention

Two things came to mind when I read this story today.

Will SMS messaging work when bandwidth for individual use is constricted
due to 'priority first responder/police' use -- as phone companies have
been instructed by Government after 9/11?

and will SMS work when the cellular network is overloaded by everyone else
phoning to contact friends and family on the remaining bandwidth -- as on
9/11

I recall that cell system was both damaged, and overloaded.

Blackberry, on a different frequency and network worked when cells did not,
due to damage/congestion on cellular network.

Wondering if any IP readers have an informed opinion on this as I just gave
up my blackberry service for sms service. In light of current hightened
alert, wondering about wisdom of such action.

Paul