Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- GOP Outsources Fundraising

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:31:08 -0400

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>

God knows that I'm no fan of the indian call center boom (which looks like the next big thing after the dotcom bust), but there's a lot of stuff that y'all just don't understand about Indian call centers.

"Underpaid"?  Don't translate dollars directly to indian rupees.

Think "purchasing power".

Typical US call center employees are random dropouts, and fairly poorly paid - it is the online equivalent of burger flipping at McDonalds.

In India, because local call centers prefer to hire people who already speak good english (and then train them to sound like they are from the midwest or new jersey or somewhere) ... what basically happens is that they take their pick of kids from the best colleges in the country - even *CS grads*. I've seen a lot of college kids who basically work for a year or two in call centers before going on to a postgrad course.

And the call center employees here are basically heavily overpaid for their skill level (speak english? know how to use word and outlook? good, you are hired!). Really fancy offices, free food and soft drinks, lots of random treats (movie tickets, discounts on expensive vacations ...). 90% of them are fresh out of college and still living with their parents - so most of this salary is disposable income, and boy, do they dispose of it. Nightclubs, expensive vacations, expensive clothes and restaurants ...

"Poorly paid" doesn't come anywhere into the equation.

I could go on ranting but have a plane to catch going back home from chairing the largest antispam conference in Asia, at Busan - 8/25 ... see http://www.apcauce.org for more details. People (govt bodies, ISP associations, etc) from at least 10 asia-pacific region countries - korea, singapore, etc attended this event