Interesting People mailing list archives

virus files this am

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:38:11 -0400

I got  1300 junk emails "delivered " this AM.

find the person and put him/her in jail .

Dave

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:15:13 -0400
From: Jock Gill <jock () jockgill com>
Subject: 31 virus files this am
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Dave,

This AM 31 of 172 emails were virus files. 112 files, including the virus delights, were junk. This means that 65% of this mornings email was spam or worse All via a dialup connection -- 18 minutes, most of which was spent downloading virus payloads. Aaaaaarrrrggghhhhh.

On the other hand, it is a good sign, as per a recent post, that IM is working as a counter to the advertising carpet bombing strategies of the large media outlets. We are truly entering a post-broadcast world liberated from the domination of one way messages.

We are also seeing this in politics -- just take one look at the Dean campaign. Dean has gone from very poor prospects under-dog to the leader of the pack. And he has done this with essentially to paid for TV, Radio, Newspapers, Magazines. The owners of the "broadcast media" still think this is an "illegal play".

We can see the emerging differences if we consider the changes going on:

passive --> active
consumer --> producer
capital intensive --> commodity tools
mass markets --> nano markets
Monetized --> free
center out --> edge to edge & sideways
command & control --> hive mind & self organization

etc.

Once we get to 1 gigabit bandwidth for all that is symmetrical and addressable then these changes will really take off. Only then we all be full citizens of the internet. It is amazing that so much new can already be done in todays world of low, asymmetrical bandwith with dynamic addressing -- a toy internet for day trippers, where only an elite few are full citizens.

Add all this to a move to Open Spectrum .....

Regards,

Jock

--
Jock Gill