Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: : Our own diminutive caesar

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:59:24 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Porter <bporter () theideasgroup com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:24:57
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: FW: Our own diminutive caesar

Thought you might find this a timely message.

Bob Porter, CTO
The Ideas Group
Direct Line (415) 869-8802
Main Line (415) 397-2777
www.theideasgroup.com

  Beware the leader who bangs the drums of
  war in order to whip the citizenry into a
  patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a
  double-edged sword. It both emboldens the
  blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when
  the drums of war have reached a fevered pitch
  and the blood boils with hate and the mind
  has closed, the leader will have no need in
  seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the
  citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by
  patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto
  the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For
  this is what I have done. And I am Caesar. -
                          Julius Caesar

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/