Interesting People mailing list archives

more on a rant from your Editor on the state of our field in research

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 04:30:15 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Fred B. Schneider" <fbs () CS Cornell EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:36:43 -0400 (EDT)
To: dave () farber net
Cc: fbs () CS Cornell EDU
Subject: Re: <[IP]> a rant from your Editor on the state of our field in
research

I second your "rant" about researchers ignoring related work, and I
wish it were only related work in *other* fields.

For most, inventing "new" stuff is more fun than reading about others'
work, especially if the latter increases the chances of realizing your
latest invention is no longer new and publishable.  Moreover, the
review process that we once could depend on for filtering-out
duplication is largely irrelevant in todays' culture of conference
publication (with brief reviews and virtually no opportunities for
paper revision) as the final venue for ideas.

CS Researchers today are not rewarded for their scholarship.  That's
what needs to be fixed.

-fred

I could not agree more, as one who has seen his early work in distributed
computing "re-invented".

------ End of Forwarded Message

You are subscribed as interesting-people () lists elistx com