Interesting People mailing list archives

Was expensive Area Codes non expensive non area codes

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 01:08:43 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Kevin Marks <kmarks () mac com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 18:04:24 -0800
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: <[IP]> expensive Area Codes

How about expensive non-area codes?

I entered a dialup number form my ISP in my local area code, but
unbeknownst to me, it was a 'local toll' number. AT&T is now demanding
$600 for the calls my computer initiated in the month before I realised
what was happening.

If any IPers know who at AT&T has discretion over such charges, I'd
love to find out how to contact them, as the dozen or so AT&T employees
I have spoken to have no authority to negotiate charges at all.
Insidiously, AT&T also threatens to cut off any AT&T mobile, Broadband
and Cable TV services if I didn't pay at once - the logic of hegemony.

With local dialup costing $600 a month, David Reed's idea of taking out
a loan for the installation costs of a direct fibre connection looks
highly attractive.

------ End of Forwarded Message