Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: ReThinking the Unthinkable 2002

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:34:18 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Lee <robertslee () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:32:56
To: eagroup () earthlink net, "David J. Farber" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: on  ReThinking the Unthinkable 2002

Don't you wonder why in the first 48 hours of conflict in Afghanistan
when the air force had a dozen Taliban chiefs located in a house our
warrior chiefs decided to ask for permission to kill them and in so
doing started a 24 hour whisper down the lane sequence of permission
askings, leading right up to the Secretary of Defense who when he gave
his permission gave it an hour or two too late and all but a child and a
woman escaped? Don't you wonder how we can be negotiating with Omar
Mulla Whatever his name is one minute and then not find him the next?
Negotiating?  Is someone home?   And don't you wonder why a six foot
four madman riding in a herd of 300 horses can disappear when our
satellites can read your license plate?

Don't you wonder how we can fight a war with Saddam Hussein, win, and
forget to kill him?

I am not sure why we do not want to hurt them but that we do not want to
hurt them I am sure.

The answer to all these enigmas is that we do not want to hurt these
people.  If we did they would be dead.  It is not terribly difficult.
In a war you kill the enemy.  Next subject.

Perhaps all leaders have made a deal with each other, tacit or explicit,
that they will fight using the succulent flesh of 18 year-old proxies.
Perhaps this deal was made 1.6 million years ago.

Bob

Robert Lee
610-642-9705