Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Rumors: New iMac [Boy, does Meng have it right re iSwitch!!! djf]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 03:02:03 -0500

Boy, does Meng have it right re iSwitch!!! djf

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 01:05:50 -0500
From: Meng Weng Wong <mengwong () dumbo pobox com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

a picture of the new imac is available at http://www.timecanada.com/

| "Every time we've brought innovation into the marketplace,
| our customers have responded-strongly," Jobs says,
| claiming that it might not be so hard as it sounds. "We
| only have to attract 5 out of the other 95 people who use
| PCs to switch, and Apple doubles its market share." That,
| of course, would buy the company that much more breathing
| room.

A lot of people with windows PCs are going to want iMacs
once they understand the value proposition --- iMac as hub
of all the digicams, mp3 players, etc.

But a big part of the reluctance is the switching cost.
People don't want to have to fight with Windows to transfer
all their old stuff over.

Now imagine if Apple provided, with their new iMacs, an
iSwitch software suite.

After putting the new Mac on the home network, you put the
iSwitch CD into your old windows box.  Magically, all your
old documents, bookmarks, and email begin to appear on the
mac.  The internet dialup configuration also transfers over.
The pain of conversion disappears.

When it's done, you turn off the windows PC --- for the last
time.

(If you don't have a home network, you plug the PC's usb
port or serial or parallel port into the iSwitch dongle
which goes into the mac.)

If iSwitch discovers that the Mac has VirtualPC, the entire
old machine could make the jump, OS included.

I wish I could just give this idea to Apple, but they
explicitly say they don't want any ideas that were Not
Invented Here.
http://www.apple.com/legal/default.html#unsolicited

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/