Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Qwest "opt out" number is off on weekends

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 02:54:35 -0500

Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 19:28:04 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>

Dave:

Just found this in the Seattle Times. Note that Qwest is able to accept requests to block (or unblock) Caller ID via Touch Tones, 24x7. Why can it not do the same for opt-out requests? (Of course, the company has claimed in court that it believes it has the First Amendment "right" to sell customers' information no matter what. So, customers may find that their personal data is being abused even if they successfully opt out.)

--Brett Glass

Qwest line to reopen tomorrow: 'Opt out' phone number is off on the weekends

By Peter Lewis
Seattle Times consumer affairs reporter

Puget Sound area Qwest customers who yesterday tried to "opt out" of the company's plan to share customers' account information within its business divisions and
with its marketing partners must wait until tomorrow to do so by phone.

The toll-free number to contact Qwest to opt out (877-628-3732) does not go through to a live person on weekends.

Customer-service requests, other than for telephone repair, "go into the business offices, which are only open Monday through Fridays, not on the weekends," said
Qwest spokesman Steve Hammack.

But the toll-free number should work weekdays from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., he said. Hammack said customers who call during nonbusiness hours should have reached a recording. But yesterday, some reported they got a recording saying they had reached a nonworking number.

Others reported trouble at a Qwest Web site, www.qwest.com/cpni that the company said customers could use to opt out. Hammack said that, as far as he knew,
the Web address worked.

But Ed Zoebisch, a Qwest customer in West Seattle, said: "I went through the steps on the (online) form, submitted it and promptly got the error message one receives when the destination a form is to be sent to doesn't work. Seems Qwest is doing their best to befuddle our attempts to 'opt out.' "

Qwest notified customers of the opt-out number after going to federal court to successfully challenge a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rule that companies could not share customer information unless customers explicitly gave permission, or "opted in." Qwest argued the rule violated its free-speech rights.

However, privacy advocates and attorneys general from 38 states, including Washington, are pressing the FCC to reopen the rule-making process to determine,
once again, whether opt-in or opt-out is the best approach.

They are urging the agency to re-adopt regulations designed to protect customer information, stressing an argument that opt-out notices do not adequately ensure customer "approval" of information sharing because they are neither read nor understood by most consumers.

Qwest's opt-out notice was on the inside of a pamphlet included with December bills.

Asked yesterday how many consumers were opting out, Hammack said he couldn't say. "I don't have that and I don't think we're keeping track," he said.

Times staff reporter Janet Tu contributed to this report. Peter Lewis can be reached at 206-464-2217 or plewis () seattletimes com.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/