Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Exploding chips: Would you like to be fried with that?: [risks] Risks Digest 21.87

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 16:02:52 -0500

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:58:01 -0800
From: Rob Slade <rslade () sprint ca>
Subject: Exploding chips: Would you like to be fried with that?

 From NewsScan Daily, 17 January 2002:

> EXPLODING CHIPS COULD FOIL THIEVES
> Researchers at the University of California in San Diego have developed a
> way to blow up silicon chips using an electric signal --

Now, at this point I was willing to dismiss this as the stuff of fiction.
You all know how computers in books and movies always "blow up real good"
when the bad guy plants a virus or something in them.  However:

> an innovation that could be used to fry electronic circuitry in devices
> after they're stolen or fall into the wrong hands. The American spy plane
> that was impounded in China last year is an example where such technology
> would have proven handy in destroying its secret electronics systems.

OK, this make a bit more sense.  Obviously these are chips that are
specifically designed to blow up once they receive a certain signal.

At this point, though, you start to think about what kind of signal that
could be.  And, could it be counterfeited?

> Similarly, if a cell phone were stolen, the owner could alert the wireless
> carrier, which would send a signal to trigger a small explosion in the
> phone's chip, rendering it useless. The techniques uses a small amount of
> the oxidizing chemical gadolinium nitrate applied to a porous silicon
> wafer. (New Scientist 16 Jan 2002)
>   http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991795

OK, I am definitely certain that, if I need to get a new cell phone from now
on, I am *definitely* not going to carry it in my pants pocket.  The RISKS,
as have been frequently noted here, are obvious.

(If we could get them to use those chips in pacemakers, wouldn't that just
make a killer application, Peter?)

rslade () vcn bc ca  rslade () sprint ca  slade () victoria tc ca p1 () canada com
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade

  [I normally delete all trailer quote.  But this one from another message
  from Rob is rather fascinating:
    A modern US Navy cruiser now requires 26 tons of manuals.
    This is enough to affect the vessel's performance.
      -- `New Scientist' article on the paperless office
  PGN]

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/