Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on The age of new blacklisting is upon us (not related to homeland defense)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 15:38:09 -0500

Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 12:29:38 -0800
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave, you and IP readers know, Spam is one of the most complex and
surprisingly contentious issues around, and a harbinger of many net
issues to come.

This is so because it sits at the intersection of three very important
rights.   Freedom of communication, Privacy and Private Property.  There
is no universal view of how these rights trump one another, and spam
is one of the first global governance problems the internet has had placed
in front of it -- the other people the popular issue of naming.

I've written a number of essays on the topic your readers may find of
interest.  They are at
            www.templetons.com/brad/spume/

But I will summarize some important points with respect to the issue
of blacklisting.

At first glance, blacklisting seems a fair solution.  One has the right
to not listen as much as others have the right to speak, and you're not
bound to open your property up for communications from people you don't
want to.

But blacklisting dicards a vital principle we normally hold dear in
our design of governance, namely that we not punish the innocent in
our effort to get at the guilty.   This is doubly true when the issue
is speech.  That is not just a consitutional principle for governments,
but a principle for how we should conduct our own lives, and any
trans-governmental regulation we build for the internet.

So since few can argue that we have a right not to listen, and few
should argue that it's OK to punish the innocent to get at the guilty,
where are we left?   Some of my essays describe other options, including
my own current personal favourite, which is not blacklisting but rather
"throttle-listing".   In this system, sites which can't be trusted not
to abuse bulk e-mail are not blocked but passed through machines which
throttle their volume of e-mail down to the level needed for person to
person e-mail.

What a lovely engineering goal for the throttle machines -- their job
is to be slow!   Rare you get that on your requirements sheet.

Thus everybody can still send person to person e-mail, but those who
want to send bulk mail must be accountable for its abuse in some way if
they want to avoid the throttles.

Others have taken the view that government regulation of e-mail is the
right answer.  I have a number of essays on the site about that as
well.  Amazingly, some who would normally blanch at bringing in the
government to regulate the internet happily invite it when it comes
to spam.  Many laws have been passed, none appear to have had any
effect on even the spam they have jurisdiction over, and none will
ever have an effect on the spam from outside those jurisdictions.  Even
for those who don't have an ideological opposition to government regulation
of the content of e-mail, the pragmatic analysis shows it to be a
dead end.

The question continues to be a fascinating one which raises emotions
far beyond what its cost and annoyance would justify.  I think that's
a sign of people feeling sad and a little violated when the beautiful
end to end concept faces the flaw of abuse.

(Indeed, you aint seen nothin' yet until you consider what happens if
we build an IP telephony system under end to end principles where
anybody can call anybody in a distributed fashion, and spammers realize
they can place IP phone calls to a million people at once.   I have some
answers for that, but more on them later.)

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/