Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: record for searches before a single plane ride?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 04:34:39 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:01:34 -0400
To: Farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: record for searches before a single plane ride?

Today I flew from Phoenix to Seattle.   I am a frequent flier, and because
I fly often on short trips on short notice, I apparently fit some profile
that triggers full searches.   I hope it's not because I have a beard and
am 50 years old, and am usually wearing "business casual" clothes.

My flight was delayed, so United happily sent me over to America West, with
timing tight.   I  arrived at the security checkpoint, took off my cell
phone, unpacked my laptop, ...  and when I got through the metal detector,
they picked me out for a full scan (*not* because I had any metal on me, by
the way - I didn't set off the detector).

Then ran to terminal, checked in, and went to get on plane already
boarding, and got pulled for search.  This happens one out of three times,
I'm totally resigned to it.  Nice enough person, but broke one of the
zippers on my carryon, probably too old, not really their fault.

Then sat on plane for 45 minutes while they worked on a mechanical
problem.  After that time, they told us we had to all get off, since one of
the tests was not OK to do with people aboard.  An hour later, were told
they couldn't fix plane.  10 minutes later, told to go to another gate,
where they have another plane.   Get told we are boarding by alphabetical
order of last name, because they need to verify against alphabetical
list.   Never heard of this before, but computer printouts are what they
are - sorting by seat number would have been too flexible.

Finally get called up.  Guess what?  Pulled aside for search again.   Turns
out that they search exactly the same people, no more no fewer.   Neat
example of security hole and pointless exercise - I thought random search
(random?  hah) was supposed to be done to maximize unpredictability.

Be interested in hearing from people who get full body scan and suitcase
searches more than 3 times in boarding one flight.  (I've already been
searched every leg of an 8 leg multicity trip - even on the 4 connecting
legs, within the security perimeter).

I'm happy to submit because it is obvious that by assuming a major share of
the burden of making air travel more secure, I am doing my duty for all of
America.   Perhaps other patriotic citizens will go to their airports and
volunteer for a day or a few hours of being searched repeatedly, no
obligation to actually fly on any flights, just stand in line, to take the
burden of being searched off those who might find being searched less
convenient.

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/