Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: MS and Open Source

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:33:43 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: "Kedrosky, Paul" <paul.kedrosky () commerce ubc ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:05:36
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: MS and Open Source

Today I was in Seattle running a panel session at Microsoft's annual (?)
Government Leader's Conference, and there was a great deal of "open" source
discussion. For example, it was Microsoft-supplied on the list of topics in
the panel I ran (on infrastructure and intellectual property).

Most interesting, however, was that Microsoft had a document strewn
everywhere called "Microsoft Shared Source: Microsoft Source Code Licensing
Program". While I haven't read all the way through it, so far it seems a
surprisingly clear discussion of the merits of having access to Microsoft's
source code.

You know what though? No-one cared. I tried to get conversation going on the
topic in my session, and I might just as well have been talking about GAAP.

Paul Kedrosky
Faculty of Commerce
University of British Columbia
paul.kedrosky () ubc ca    604.822.8894