Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Computers (he has it right)

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:31:47 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: "Liam  Hemmings" <liam () lhemmings fsbusiness co uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:27:42
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Computers

On a daily basis I use email, sync my Palm,  surf a bit and do a lot of WP.
I bet I'm fairly typically of many users.

Why I wonder is  Windows is so darned fiddly? Why do device drivers have to
literally drive me insane? Why is it I when I buy a new printer or digital
camera I can go nuts trying to use them.? Why is my relatively simple email
client so prone to viruses? Maybe I'm stupid, but hey there's a lot of
stupid people out here.

To be honest computers today remind me of the cars of my childhood. Every
Sunday my neighbours would be out in their overalls tinkering with their
cars. Anybody who couldn't or didn't want to tinker was destined for a life
of unreliable motoring.  Seems like PC's are just the same to me: unless you
want to get under the hood then you're in for unreliable computing.