Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Died Prof. Bob Floyd -- a great man and a gentleman

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:14:34 -0400

From GDGibbons () aol com
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2001 110043 EDT
Subject Prof. Floyd
To chair () CS Stanford EDU
CC dswise () cs indiana edu

Professor Floyd has died.  I am his trustee, and am making final
arrangements for him. We will have a memorial service, details TBD but I think this
weekend, since his family will be here at that time.

Remembering my distress when I was not aware of my advisor's illness and
death until much later, I think it would be a kindness to let Bob's
students and professional friends and associates know of his passing and the
upcoming memorial service. I did not know many of his friends here in the area,
so I hope you will arrange for the appropriate people to be informed, or
perhaps let me have an email list.

I studied with Bob at CMU in the sixties, and I know first hand that he
was agreat man and a great computer scientist.  He died of the consequences of
a terrible dementia, probably Pick's disease.  I believe his illness began
years before he was diagnosed, and cut in to his professional work.  I
know that toward the end of his time on your faculty his productivity had
declined.  At the height of his powers he was in the first ranks of our
field, and in some ways perhaps the finest.

Anything you can do to help will be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Greg Gibbons

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/