Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: This is war, and it will demand our steel: London Times

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:54:11 -0400

From: Herb Schorr <schorr () ISI EDU>

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 18 2001
This is war, and it will demand our steel
MICHAEL GOVE
The West is dealing, once more, with an ideological challenge to its values
Yes, it is war. And there is no escape for our Audens. The West faces not an Agincourt, before which those who have not the stomach for the struggle may depart, but a total war into which we have all, already, been conscripted — by our enemy. It is only once we in the West appreciate the scale and nature of the threat that we can be certain appropriate action will be taken. We must appreciate four factors — first, this is a struggle born of implacable totalitarianism not neglected grievances; secondly, our vulnerability is a consequence of progressive national weakness; not an arrogant projection of strength; thirdly, soft words will not now turn away wrath; and lastly, our unsheathed sword, while it must be terrible, cannot, sadly, be swift.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,252-2001323217,00.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/