Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FOR SILICON VALLEY IPers -- Larry Leifer * Distributed Design Team Innovation * Wednesday 4:14 Gates B03

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:36:18 -0400

        Computer Systems Laboratory Colloquium
        4:15PM, Wednesday, September 26, 2001
    NEC Auditorium, Gates Computer Science Building B03

Topic:          Distributed Design Team Innovation
                metrics and the role of collaboration technology

Speaker:        Larry Leifer
                Stanford University
                Director, Stanford Center for Design Research
                Department of Mechanical Engineering

About the talk:

Design team activity is one of the most knowledge intensive of human
behaviors.  Defining "design" broadly to include both the synthesis
of new products and the synthesis of new research, we ask one guiding
question.  What are designers really doing when they do design?
Using a variety of observation techniques, but preferring
video-interaction-analysis, we seek insights into their activity,
thinking strategies and knowledge processing paradigms.  Where
observation leads to insight, we then ask how can we help them
improve their own performance using information and communication
technology?

Given 20 years of increasingly formal study, I would like to share
several of our major findings, demonstrate how findings were applied
to measurably improve performance, and finally to outline how the
next generation of collaborative knowledge sharing tools and services
can be deployed to accelerate globally distributed team innovation
and learning.  We believe that the lessons learned and strategies
deployed are especially relevant to large, multi-disciplinary,
undertakings like those found in Stanford's Bio-X, Nano-X and
Management-X initiatives.

About the speaker:

Professor Leifer's formal academic training was obtained at Stanford
University.  He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical
Engineering (BS'62), a Master of Science degree in Product Design
(MS'63) and a PhD in Biomedical Engineering (PhD'69).  From 1969-1973
his research included electrophysiological measures of human
information processing during flight simulation at the NASA Ames
Research Center and the Man-Vehicle Laboratory at MIT.  He was an
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Systems Analysis at the Swiss
Federal Institute of Technology in prior to joining the Stanford
faculty in 1976.  He presently teaches ME310, a high-tech graduate
course in "Team-based Product Design Innovation with Corporate
Partners; a Design Theory and Methodology seminar series entitled
"Leaders in Design Innovation"; and he directs the Engineering Design
Affiliates Program.  He received the 1997 ASME award for Innovation
in Engineering Education and is a member of the National Academy of
Engineering Committee on Engineering Education.

He is founding director of the Stanford Center for Design Research
(CDR'82) where he works with colleagues in AA, CE, CS, Medicine and
the Humanities to understand and facilitate creative design-team
activity.  With a focus on globally distributed product development
teams on campus and in industry, he is developing objective measures
of design team performance (learning) under various real-world and
emulation conditions using a variety of computational tools and
services.  Based in part on the results of experiments with
curriculum reform and the NSF sponsored Synthesis Engineering
Education Coalition, Professor Leifer was appointed founding director
(1997-2001) of the Stanford Learning Laboratory, an initiative by
then Stanford president Gerhard Casper to systematically improve
collaborative learning through the judicious use of information and
communication technology.  His contributions to human-service
robotics and design research are documented in approximately 250
peer-reviewed publications and have been presented internationally in
over 300 invited lectures.

Contact Information

Larry Leifer
Stanford Center for Design Research