Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Airline economics

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 08:08:53 -0400

From: Russell Nelson <nelson () crynwr com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 08:03:04 -0400 (EDT)
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave, I'm wondering if people realize what we're doing to the airline
industry.  In a free-market economy, a sudden 25% downturn in business
is the same as if, in a command-and-control economy, one of four
businesses was told to shut down.  Is that really what we want?  Have
we really decided to permanently curtail our flying by 75%?  If so,
then an airline bailout should only recompense them for the cost of
being forced to not fly during the week of 9/11.  Any money in excess
of that is simply the American taxpayers being forced to buy airplane
tickets against their will -- and not actually receiving the tickets
with which to fly!

If, on the other hand, we aren't serious about this decision -- if
instead we're just a bit afraid and really do plan to continue flying
at the previous level -- then we ought to get off our butts and start
flying before any more airlines go out of business.  Midway, a North
Carolina regional airline, has already shut down operations.  They
were in Chapter 11 as it was.  But many other airlines' finances are
shaky, and more may go out of business.  This is how it should be in a
free market, but people should realize this: the next time you want to
fly, you'll have fewer choices of flights going to fewer cities at a
higher cost with less customer service.  Because that's what we're
telling the airlines to give us.  And what we ask for, we're gonna get.

--
-russ nelson <sig () russnelson com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | It's a crime, not an act

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/