Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Arline Bailouts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:12:48 -0400

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:09:19 -0700
From: Dennis Allison <allison () shasta Stanford EDU>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Arline Bailouts

Dave,

I travelled yesterday by air.  The air terminals were quiet.  At one
point.  in the Delta terminal at SFO, I could seen only 16 people.
Even a couple of weeks ago, the smae space would have had hundreds of
passengers.  Tne new security regulations might account for some of the
drop in headcount, but not this magnitude.

The planes were empty, to first order.  The two flights we took are
usually fully booked or overbooked year-around but today could muster
only twenty to thirty passengers.  Much as it's nice to be able to fly
without the crush, this was very disturbing because I selfishly want
the airlines to survive.  I depend upon regularly scheduled, low to
moderate cost air travel.  The air travel infrastructure is a major US
resource, part of our commercial advantage.

Now's a great time to travel.  No crowds, friendly and supportive
airline staff, thoughtful and friendly fellow passengers, and the good
feeling that comes with supporting an important infrastructure
component during a time of stress.

-dra

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/