Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: IP: Microsoft Rallies Industry Against Bug Anarchy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 07:23:29 -0400

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:15:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: elijah wright <elw () stderr org>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Microsoft Rallies Industry Against Bug Anarchy

Dear Dave,

Microsoft has shown over a period of time that they don't take security
seriously.  Why else would they have to *change* their policies about IIS
default installations after a public outcry from administrators at
corporations that were crippled by CodeRed and Nimda??  Those policies
should have been in place *to begin with*, not added as an afterthought.

Making things "easy" for undertrained, undereducated administrators at
Internet endpoints should *not* be Microsoft's task.  Particularly when
the relevant choice happens to be whether or not to install a default
service.  If the local population at a site isn't capable of turning *on*
a service, then they most likely don't have a use for it to begin with.
But let the users decide, rather than forcing them to learn how to turn
*off* nonessential services after a "base" installation.

Letting an inattentive userbase shoot itself in the foot (as we've seen in
recent times, as a direct result of often unmonitored, bug-prone IIS
installations) is a really bad idea.  One that has economic, strategic,
and political long-term consequences.

Microsoft's attitudes toward 'nondisclosure' vs. 'full disclosure' issues
indicate a lack of software professionalism and management skill on the
part of decisionmakers further up the chain of command.  Perhaps Mr. Culp
is not at fault - perhaps he simply hasn't educated his superiors as to
the dangers of security policies like the one he has been advocating.
And perhaps placing blame with the security manager of our favorite
monopolistic entity is wrong.

But I doubt it.

To close:  Microsoft's rhetoric is flawed and fairly transparent.  For
most software professionals, the obvious security theme is that Microsoft
itself is one of the most guilty of failing to release, revise, and repair
software vulnerabilities.

Sorry if this is a little bit twitchy - written hastily while eating
lunch.  Feel free to bounce it out to IPers.

Best,
elijah

--
"Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground."  --Rumi

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/