Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: Death and terrorism, some data and questions

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 05:13:21 -0400

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:54:41 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Einar Stefferud <stef () nma com>
Subject: Re: IP: Death and terrorism, some data and questions

Hi Dave -- I would like to question the logic of using the same decision logic for both the campaign against terrorism and Medical Research expenditures.

My sense is that the model being used for funding the anti-terror campaign is called "minimization of regrets". No one wants to be caught having done nothing when the next terrorist attack occurs.

This is the model that says that huge amounts must be spent to try to save the victims of a coal mine disaster, after the disaster, when it might have been much better to spend the same amount (or more) before the accident to keep it from happening.

This is because it is unacceptable to not try really hard to save any victim, if you might find out later that they died because the rescue efforts was terminated before finding and rescuing any given victim before they died.

We saw this model in use in the wreckage of the WTC, even after it was obvious after a week went by that no one else could possibly be rescued alive.

No one wanted to be found at fault for not trying hard enough, after the event. Most people feet it as a personal thing, without considering what others might think or say.

Now, to avoid this, all we need is 20-20 foresight, to match our 20-20 hindsight.

Another aspect is that using the minimization of regret decision model for medical research funding could very well absorb every available nickel, and leave nothing for anything else, which would soon enough be seen as yet another disaster.

Before the fact is always a balancing act based on foresight, and minimization of regret takes hold with hindsight.

I challenge anyone to figure out how to fix this supposed error of our ways,
by perhaps inventing foresight glasses to give us hindsight quality vision for our foresight.

The problem is that the future is both unknown and unknowable from our always current position in the present, locked in place between the past and the future. If the future was always a repeat of the past, we might have a chance, but new stuff keeps happening, as many of our inventive Internauts have endlessly demonstrated.

In any case, death is still at least as inevitable as taxes;-(...
And this fact will remain true no matter how much we spend on medical research. So, the proper metric for relative evaluation might better be "additional years of life" vs "lives".

Cheers...\Stef

PS:  By the way, what is the comparison between expenditures
     for medical research vs the anti-terrorist campaign?