Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on -- RAND and W3C

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:31:03 -0400

From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap () eros-os org>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>, <ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com>

Dave:

As one of the people who responded to the call for comments on the W3C RAND
proposal, and as one of the people who worked on some of the early parts of
what is now the web (netnews) I'ld like to respond briefly to what Daniel
Weitzner just posted.

W3C is in the standards business. One key reason that the web is so useful
is that W3C's standards have been open and accessable to all on a
royalty-free basis. Most of the tools in daily use on the web started as
efforts by individuals or small companies who had no means to pay royalties.
The introduction of an endorsed royalty structure of any kind by W3C is a
basic violation of trust between W3C and the people who made the web happen.
More importantly, it is an abrogation of W3C's duty to the user base to
promote the advancement of the web through open and widely deployed
standards.

I agree with Daniel that the W3C's royalty-free policy has been somewhat
informal in the past, and that in the emerging legal environment of the web
it may need improvement and clarification. The RF policy is a good start at
this. While constructive suggestions have been made in regard to the
specific W3C proposal, the only objections have come from large concerns
that wish to seize, coopt, and benefit from the prio work of others -- the
companies who advocate RAND.

The RAND policy is another matter entirely. What is happening here is that
certain companies are saying "Now that a bunch of people have built a market
for us, we would like to create conditions in which (a) further evolution of
that market will be impeded, and (b) we will get to profit from the work of
those other people. We didn't have the foresight to invest in the web, so we
don't control it now. Our only defense is to make further changes to the web
impossible by using the monopoly leverage of standards to generate
royalties."

In short, this is like software patents -- and equally destructive.

If you are an end user of the web, you benefit from the ideas and labor of
hundreds of people. The designers of the web have created an environment
that defines your online experience, and most of you seem to like that
experience. That process occurred in an open, royalty-free environment; it
could not have occurred any other way. In fact, there were competing
commercial attempts at the time. All of them failed.

Royalties destroy innovation by making it impossible to combine good ideas
in new ways. It isn't broken. Don't fix it.

Respectfully,

Jonathan S. Shapiro, Assistant Professor
Johns Hopkins University

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/