Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: faith based defense ssytem

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 18:47:13 -0400

Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 18:28:21 -0400
To: dave () farber net
From: Kobrin <KobrinS () wharton upenn edu> (by way of David Farber
<dave () farber net>)
Subject: faith based defense ssytem

Dave,

While it is a bit off topic, I thought you might enjoy the attached proposal
for a faith based air traffic control system.  Tom Friedman used much of
this essay in his column in the Times a few weeks ago.  I ends with a
reference to a faith based defense system

Steve

A Modest Proposal  --  Stephen Kobrin*

Now I get it!

I was confused last summer.  People would come home furious about
interminable flight delays, go on and on about the awful state of the
nation's air traffic control system and then, in the next breath, drool
over the Bush tax cut proposal.  I didn't understand how "giving money back
to the people who earned it" was going to get planes off the ground.

I wasn't listening.  The answer is clear as a bell:  A faith-based air
traffic control system.  Thousands of church groups all over the country
using second-hand police radar guns and short wave radios to guide
airplanes to their destinations.  Hey, if a guy flying a plane filled with
passengers with two engines sputtering doesn't get right with God quickly,
who will?

My plan  FbF (Faith-based Flight)  will transfer funds from stodgy
bureaucrats interested in feathering their own nests back to the
people.  More important, it will put government funds in the hands of
groups that have the motivation and energy to solve the problem.  Does
anyone really want a 747 crashing into their neighborhood?

Both Mao and Bush pere talked about 1000 points of something.  Think of the
possibilities for innovation and new technologies that will emerge from
thousands of small faith-based groups trying to come to grips with all of
the problems of guiding planes safely and efficiently through our
over-crowded skies.  And the airlines will be forced to become independent
and self-reliant instead of depending on the public dole and publicly
funded air traffic controllers.  If the inevitable does happen, what better
hands could you wish to be in?

There may be a few rough spots here and there.  It is not clear how actions
by thousands of separate religious groups across the land can morph into
some sort of coordinated national policy, but then again, we can't be much
worse off than we are now.  While others may wonder about amateurs dealing
with complex, highly technical issues, I say that the professionals have
had their chance and they have not done so well either.  Diversity should
not be a serious problem: most of the international airlines like Gulf Air,
El Al and Thai Airways land in large heterogeneous metropolitan areas like
New York and LA where they should be able to find a synagogue, mosque or
Buddhist temple to guide them in.

While proselytizing may happen, it should not be a big deal.  These days
planes are pretty automated and pilots have long stretches of time that can
be put to good use.  And what an opportunity to give passengers the option
to listen to a stirring faith-based message full of family values instead
of watching a movie full of (badly edited) sex and violence.

The possibilities are endless.    Faith-based education is already on the
way through school vouchers.  Doctors have always argued that
blind  faith  albeit in their opinions  is the key to effective health
care.  And with Star Wars, a faith-based defense policy is well off the ground.

* 215 898-7732; kobrins () wharton upenn edu

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/