Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re::UNIVAC turns 50

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:53:53 -0400

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:40:41 -0400
To: dave () farber net
From: NC Hanger / Windhaven <nhanger () windhaven com>
Subject: Re: IP: UNIVAC turns 50

Dave,

Great posting.

This is personal history for me -- my godfather was Press Eckart,
coinventor of the ENIAC, and my stepfather one of the early VPs of
Remington-Rand (Sperry-Rand, Sperry-Univac, and finally Univac), until his
death in 1985.

I'm sitting here in my office typing on a Pentium III 1Gig machine, with a
vacuum tube from that first US Census Univac mounted on a wooden block
atop a pile of papers beside me. I wish they were still alive to see where
computers are today.

A small B&W photo hangs on the wall beside my desk of my stepfather
(Phillip S. Vincent) with Douglas McArthur standing in front of one of the
Univac arrays. (I have several lead sets of miniatures of the Census array
in boxes. I had a strange upbringing -- I didn't get doll houses, I got
minatures of computer mainframe setups.) I have more Univac "stuff" than I
think Unisys still has in their warehouse: mugs, Cross pen sets, chips,
tubes, miniatures, circuit boards, and let's not forget the stationery and
other emphemera. When I die, my inheritors will be overwhelmed (by then,
I'm sure it will no longer be "history," but be "junk," and it'll all be
thrown out!).

Just had to tell someone. It's my family's birthday today. :-)

--Nancy

Nancy C. Hanger
contributing editor & columnist, BYTE.com
     ("Mobile & Web") - http://www.byte.com
nhanger () windhaven com | 603-483-0929 (8022 - fax)
68 Hunting Road, Auburn, NH 03032