Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re::UNIVAC turns 50

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:42:51 -0400

Subject: Re: IP: UNIVAC turns 50
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:21:10 -0400
x-sender: pjensen () sdimail pollen com
x-mailer: Claris Emailer 2.0v3, January 22, 1998
From: Peter Jensen <pjensen () pollen com>
To: "David Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Look at what a half-century has wrought. It was 50 years ago
today that the famed Univac, widely considered the first
commercial computer, made its public debut during a dedication at
the U.S. Census Bureau

David -

As someone who first learned to program on Univac 1 - my very first
teacher was Mauchly himself - I have a vivid memory of a visit I made to
Sperry in, I believe, 1959.

Upon entering the building, they'd placed a Univac 1 prominently in view,
and powered up.  The system console for these had about as many lights as
Times Square, and they had placed a small louspeaker on top of this
console.

When I asked about that speaker, they told me they had a coil wrapped
around the main system bus, and had hooked this to an audio amplifier.
They then proceeded to have this $1.5 million beheamoth play "Mary Had a
Little Lamb".

Little did I realize at the time that I was witnessing the first digital
audio synthesizer - and little did Sperry realize what they'd created!
Another 1/2 Billion dollar opportunity lost!

One other memory from the time was Mauchly coming in one day and,
appearing quite engrossed in thought, announcing that he'd realized that
five computers could handle all the computational needs of the country.
He drew something out on the board, but I don't recall what it was, that
was his justification for this.  I know this incident is widely
attributed to Watson at IBM, but I personally heard Mauchly say it.

For perspective - the Univac 1 used a rotating drum main memory of 500
words.

Peter Jensen
Vice President, Online Business Development
Surveillance Data Incorporated
Pollen.com  Accurate allergy forecasts for the entire US.
FluSTAR.com  The most up-to-date influenza information.

610-834-0800
610-834-8817 (FAX)

Pollen.com has appeared in People Magazine, US News and World Report,
Yahoo's Internet World Magazine, USA Today, Elle Magazine, Self Magazine,
and hundreds of newspapers, magazines and television shows nationally.
Read about the latest developments affecting allergy-sufferers - how
global warming is increasing pollen production (from a USDA study we
worked on) in US News and World Report at:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/010312/nycu/allergies.htm

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/