Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Phone Companies Preparing to "Share" Personal Info

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 05:04:48 -0500

Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 20:16:15 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>

Customers of Qwest, the Bell monopoly covering 14 midwestern and western states from Minnesota to Washington, recently enclosed a small, easily-missed brochure with customer bills. This brochure, similar to the ones sent out by banks in the summer of 2001, informs telephone customers that unless they devote time and effort to opting out, their personal information will be "shared with" other companies controlled by Qwest (including unregulated subsidiaries which could use the information to get a leg up on competitors). What's more, in the fine print, Qwest claims the right to disseminate or sell customers' personal and private information -- including calling records -- whenever it believes that it is "commercially reasonable," even if the consumer does opt out.... Making the pretense of care for consumers' privacy a sham.

Here's the text of Qwest's announcement, together with "translations" of some of its language.

--Brett Glass

-----------------

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING YOUR QWEST ACCOUNT INFORMATION

The following information does not impact your Qwest billing.

So, we're hoping you will be too busy paying your bills and dealing with other logistics of daily life to read it.

Qwest has a long history of treating customer account information confidentially. We think that's one reason you trust us.

Actually, we know that most telephone consumers do not trust their local telephone companies one bit, but believe that their account information is required by law to be treated confidentially. By sending you this small brochure, which you're likely to miss, we're hoping to shore up our legal position in the event that consumers become (justifiably) outraged at what we are about to do.

As we develop new services, we want to maintain your trust while continuing to meet your service needs with innovative products. By sharing account information among Qwest's family of companies, and by aggregating information to learn more about trends and purchasing patterns, we can serve you better.

...by sending you promotional literature, unsolicited e-mail, and similar unwanted marketing material. We also want to get a leg up on those pesky competitors who dare to challenge our monopolies (or near-monopolies) in telephone directories and local exchange service, or who are attempting to provide wireless service in our rightful domain.

All telecommunications carriers have a duty to treat customer account information confidentially, by law. If you don't currently subscribe to a particular telecommunications service, you have a right to prohibit us from sharing account information for marketing purposes with other Owest business divisions. For, example, if you have local service with Qwest but not wireless service, you can ask us not to share the local service information with the wireless part of our business.

However, we have taken the liberty of reinterpreting your rights under the law to consist of the right to opt OUT, not a requirement that you specifically opt IN.

Account information includes details about your service, such as how many lines you have; features you may subscribe to or use (such as Caller ID, Call Waiting, and Last Call Return); information about wireless services, if you have them; as well as calling and billing records. For toll calls that you are billed for, the information includes the number the call comes from, the number it goes to and how many minutes the call takes.

We will make all of this information available to parties whom you probably would not want to see it unless you explicitly opt out.

We expect to share account information with Qwest companies, many of which you probably already know. These include Owest Corporation (your local telephone company), Owest Wireless, Owest DEX (our directories division), Owest Communications Corporation (our long distance division), and our Internet operations. In the future we may change our structure or enter new lines of business (for example, we hope to offer interexchange long distance services in our states over the next year or two). As such changes happen, we will also share account information when it helps to provide you quality services, packages and promotions.

You don't have to do anything to permit us to use your information. If you do not want us to share account information within the Qwest family of companies, let us know within the next 30 days. Residential customers should call toll free 1-877-628-3732.

When you call this number, you will be asked to enter your phone number via your Touch Tone keypad. While this would be sufficient to allow you to opt out, it will not be the end of the process. Instead, you'll be put on hold -- and, if you're patient enough, will be connected to an operator, who will ask you again for your number (as if you had not already entered it) and then for other information. We're hoping that the process will be inconvenient enough that you won't complete it.

For business customers, contact your Qwest representative or call the business office telephone number on your Qwest bill. Both business and residential customers may also let us know their preference by using the following web site: www.qwest.com/cpni.

At this Web site, you'll be asked to enter far more information than is necessary to identify your account. We hope that you will find this process to be too inconvenient to complete, and/or will make a mistake when entering the information so that we can justify disqualifying your request.

If we do not hear from you within 30 days, we'll use the account information in the ways described here.

We are not, however, specifying when this 30-day period begins. It is, of course, to our advantage to start it as early as possible -- at the date printed on your bill, for example, rather than the date when you get it. This way, if you don't pay your bill until the due date, or are late in paying it, you may miss the deadline by the time you see this notice.

Of course, if you change your mind in the future, you can always contact us to change your decision.

But if you opt out even one day late, we can't, of course, take back the information that we will already have distributed.

Whatever you decide will not affect the quality of the Qwest products and services you use now or your ability to order new products from us in the future. But, it may mean you are not informed of special offers or new products or services, packaged offerings, or promotions.

Even if you notify us not to use account information for marketing purposes, by law we can and do use such information for reasons you might expect -- billing, collection, and protecting ourselves and others against unlawful acts such as fraud or theft of service. And your name, address and telephone number are not generally considered confidential account information.

Therefore, we reserve the right to sell this information to marketers, et cetera, even if you opt out and/or have an unlisted telephone number.

We also mingle information together about groups or categories of services or customers so that specific customers are not identified.

We will, of course, provide your account information to anyone you want us to such as other carriers or service providers so long as the request comes from you personally and is in writing.

We also sometimes disclose account information to third parties who are not part of the Qwest family of companies when required by law, when it furthers prompt and accurate delivery of your service, or when it is commercially reasonable to do so.

Needless to say, as a publicly traded corporation, we believe that it is "commercially reasonable" to maximize our return to our stockholders. So, now that we have "notified" you of this policy by including a small slip with your phone bill, we will reserve the right to sell your name, address, and telephone number to anyone who will pay a sufficient price -- even if you have attempted to opt out or have an unlisted telephone number.

So, we provide account information when presented with lawful demands by regulatory agencies, subpoenas, or law enforcement. Qwest is also required to provide account information to other carriers when they tell us you have consented and they need the information to offer you their services. We may provide account information to companies where the "service package" involves part of a Qwest service (a DSL line, for example) and part of another company's service (like Internet access), so that the service you receive works despite there being two companies involved. There are other examples, also.

And we are leaving ourselves a large loophole here by failing to be specific about what they are.

We may provide account information to companies that provide support services to us (such as billing or account management) and to firms that have marketing agreements with us.

Which any firm can probably establish with us if it is not a competitor and is willing to pay a sufficient amount of money.

We also may disclose account information if we decide to sell a line of business to another company, so that you can continue to receive service with as little disruption as possible.

We believe our information practices promote your interests and ours.

But mostly ours.

We are better able to understand the kinds of services you have and might like to receive in the future.

And lock you in as a customer before a competitive market can rear its ugly head.

And we can limit our contacts with you to those times when we have products you may be interested in hearing about.

Which we, rather than you, will determine.

Please note: Not all of Owest's information practices are included in this short notice about account information. Also, we may make changes in the future to the way in which we share account information internally or disclose it outside our company. You can learn more about Qwest's privacy policies and information practices by visiting Qwest's web site at www.qwest.com.

However, the privacy policy posted there, which can be reached by clicking link at the bottom of the home page which says "Privacy," is riddled with even more loopholes than the stated policies in this brochure. And at the end, there's an especially chilling statement:

"To improve the services it can offer you, Qwest may opt to expand its capabilities for obtaining information about users in the future."

Does this give you the creeps? If so, you'll have to complain to your legislators and hope that, somehow, you can overcome the influence of our large campaign contributions and constant lobbying. Good luck.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/