Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Must read (especially the press) The Internet and nuclear attack

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 10:30:02 -0500

[I can second many of Dave's comments -- us Dave's have to stick together :-) ) djf

Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 10:23:12 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu, dewayne () warpspeed com
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: The Internet and nuclear attack

At 21:12 -0800 12/27/01, Mike Cheponis wrote:
   project. In the 1960's, the Pentagon sponsored research at several
   American universities to create a communications network that could
   survive nuclear attack.

Reed knows this is not true.  Why does he repeat this canard?  -mac

This Reed (me) knows that the urban myth about the Internet being designed to resist nuclear attack is not true, but has a few theories about its hardiness.

In fact, I was interviewed for 30-40 minutes by a Business Week reporter while still stuck in Seattle after 9/11, and the main reason for that reporter talking to me was to try to get a quote that would say that the Internet worked so well when the phones weren't working was because it was designed to survive nuclear attack. I pretty much succeeded; the resulting story focused on how the new modes of communication built on the Internet (such as chat, email, and live web-based news) were more useful than phones and 24x7 replays of the same old plane-into-towers video.

But the myth survives for several reasons:

1. It's a great story. And people love to associate themselves with great stories that should be true, even if they aren't.

2. The ARPANET *was* in part justified in DoD by the "survivable network" concept - for example the original IMPs were built in "blast-hardened" cabinets (I think primarily for "demo value" to the brass).

3. There are a lot of people who want to be seen as "creators of the Internet" who contributed mainly to the ARPANET. Conveniently blurring away the distinction between the Internet and the ARPANET allows them to disenfranchise all those who contributed other, major, non-ARPANET networking ideas that were incorporated into the Internet's large umbrella of idea sources. This all-too-human bug of thinking that a great idea must surely follow a single path from a single source leads to many opportunities for wishful distortion. There were indeed folks like Paul Baran (and Davies?) working on survivable networks and packet communications long before there was an interconnected "network of networks". But the ideas about "survivability" known and studied at the time were pretty much left out of the Internet research agenda which focused on resource-sharing and interoperability.

4. The Internet turns out to be pretty resilient, which one might try to explain as intentional. But that resilience is an emergent property driven by architectural principles and the "social" drives of its user-owner-builders, like the results of biological and cultural evolution are driven by constraints of mechanism (DNA) and local interactions. I wonder if the same people who have trouble accepting that elegant, efficient biological structures can emerge without an intentional designer tend to be the people who need a myth to explain the Internet's hardiness (e.g., its ability to "route around" attempts to control it).

I suspect that the persistence of this myth represents much more than a mere "error".

- David
WWW Page: http://www.reed.com/dpr.html

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/