Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: A Better Network for Emergency Communications

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 09:55:37 -0500

From: Jim Innes <Jim.Innes () AmericanTower com>
To: "'mac () Wireless Com'" <mac () Wireless Com>
Cc: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Mike:

I saw your posting to the IP list. Although I did not see Hundt's piece in the NYT, might he have been referring to the AUTOVON and AUTODIN networks that were built and operated by ATT and Western Union (respectively) for the DOD between 1959 and 1966? AUTOVON was based upon buried analog coax cable facilities interconnecting a group of approx. 50 "main station" tandem switching and power insertion site. The main stations generally consisted of 50,000 sf underground buildings, 50 psi blast overpressure hardened. Some of the 1st generation sites were equipped with crossbar switches, but all were upgraded to analog electronic switches between 1964-66. The system was turned down in the mid-1980s.

AUTODIN was a messaging network using analog microwave facilities interconnecting DEC PDP based switching facilities. Both AUTODIN and AUTOVON were mainly accessed by LEC provided circuits serving military, DOD, and executive command facilities.

I work for American Tower Corp. which know owns 4 of the underground former AUTOVON sites, and many of the above ground former microwave stations. One of my jobs is now disposition of these sorts of assets. If you or others would like to know more about this, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Jim  Innes

-----Original

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/