Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: CRADA -- you can hear the rip (off)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 18:15:37 -0500

And the ps comment re ANS and NSF brings back non-fond memories that someday I will document .

Dave

From: "Rick Adams" <ricknews () cello net>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu

The Network Solutions travesty is probably worse.

UUNET offered to do the master domain system at no cost to NSF and for
a nominal, cost sharing fee from the users (I think it was $1 per domain per year).
The technology proposed was essentially what TuCows is now running.

The UUNET proposal was rejected. Network Solutions' proposal was accepted.

There were two primary reasons sited in the review for rejection of the UUNET proposal:

1) it was not technically feasible (I never got a straight answer as to why not)

        and

2) "Why should UUNET be allowed to make obscene profits by charging $1 per domain"

I particularly remember the accusation of making obscene profits. (It's especially funny
now when Network Solutions is getting $6 or so supposedly to cover costs.)

I was later told in private by one of the review panel that one of the central reasons the UUNET proposal was rejected was that NSF would have no control over the system if it was distributed as I suggested and that they did not like that. It was not mentioned as
a criteria at any stage of the process including the review...

The CRADA process such as it is was and is badly broken, but then I suppose so are most
government funding procedures.

Rick Adams
Founder, UUNET
(unaffiliated with UUNET since 1997)

p.s. The ANS takeover of NSFNET an commercialization is another blot of shame on the process.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/