Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: History of the word "spam" revealed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 01:01:18 -0500

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:42:54 -0800
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>

After the google archive came up, I went on some etymological hunts,
to see if I could find the origin of some terms.  I had always predicted
that the net, moving some of our oral traditions into writing, would
become a goldmine for historians who could see, in documentary form,
exactly what was said and when.

I hunted for a few things, found some, could not find others.

In this new essay at:
        http://www.templetons.com/brad/spamterm.html

I explore the history of the term "spam" and the first famous net
spams, and at the end, I include a brief reference to the origin
of the term "net surfing."

Send me your comments and corrections, and I will revise.  I've found
all sorts of great history in the archive, some of it mine, some
that of others.  Famous hoaxes.  The birth of internet domain systems.
The birth of the web and dot-coms and so much of our modern history.

Short summary:  Spam probably began around 1989 or 1990 in MUDs
(multi-user interactive environments) to refer to flooding the MUD, its
chat or its database with stuff.  In 1993 a bug in a program by Richard
Depew that spewed 200 articles to a newsgroup got called a spam by
Joel Furr, a Mudder.  The first deliberate spam said that Christ was Coming
soon, and 4 months later the green card lawyers made their history, and
the term took off in a major way.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/