Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: My old haunts -- they are expendable

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:59:35 -0500

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:54:25 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Re: IP: My old haunts -- they are expendable

At 05:35 PM 12/17/2001 -0500, David Farber forwarded a note from Charles Iseman <CISEMAN () fcc gov>:
I heard on the radio that FEMA has announced that they've canceled their plans to move to 12th St, SW (ever hear of that location? :-) ) because it is too close to Nat'l Airport and, hence, too dangerous.

No joke! Here's an article on FEMA's unwillingness to move any closer to National airport (they're already in the southwest of DC, near the U.S. Mint and NASA, and apparently already skittish):

http://washington.bcentral.com/washington/stories/2001/12/17/story1.html
An emergency exit
2001-12-17 12:38:14
Washington Business Journal - December 17, 2001

The Federal Emergency Management
Agency is canceling its plans to move into a new headquarters being
built at 550 12th St. SW, citing concerns over security and proximity
to Reagan National Airport. The 10-story tower, now under construction
by JBG Cos., is expected to be completed by late 2002. FEMA was slated
to occupy most of the 420,000-square-foot building by spring 2003.
FEMA Director Joe Allbaugh canceled that plan after re-evaluating the
building's security risks following the Sept. 11 attacks on the World
Trade Center and the Pentagon. FEMA's operations center would have
been located on the top floor of the new headquarters building, just
two miles off the main runway at National.

[...]

-Declan

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/