Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Security Firms Call for Video-Surveillance Law (for spy cams)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 06:12:20 -0400

If you think that only good will come from this, I have a bridge for sale djf

From: "the terminal of Geoff Goodfellow" <geoff () iconia com>
To: "Dave E-mail Pamphleteer Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Security Firms Call for Video-Surveillance Law
By Andy Sullivan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Facing a growing public backlash, the security
industry called on Congress Wednesday to regulate the use of surveillance
systems that match faces of people on the street with a database of known
criminals.

The developer of a prominent face-scanning system, along with the head of
the industry trade group, said the federal government needed to step in to
ensure that such systems could not be used by police or private corporations
to track or compile profiles of innocent citizens.

``This discovery was intended to bring a benefit to society and the world,
and my feeling about it is I need help from the federal government to make
sure there is no room for misuse,'' said Dr. Joseph Atick, chief executive
of Visionics Corp.

--SNIP--

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20010808/pl/tech_privacy_surveillance_dc_1
.html

geoff.goodfellow () iconia com, Prague CZ * tel/mobil +420 (0)603 706 558
"success is getting what you want & happiness is wanting what you get"
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/01/biztech/articles/17drop.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/