Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Wireless Internet to Native American Reservations

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:17:02 -0400

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

Wireless Internet to Native American Reservations
<http://www.populartechnologies.com/news/01/02/15/0414200.shtml>

Researchers at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) are using
the latest solar-powered wireless technology to help a pair of Native
American tribes bridge the digital divide. The High Performance Research
and Education Network (HPWREN) is overcoming geographical, social and
technical barriers to bring high-speed Internet access to the La Jolla and
Pala tribes.

In remote San Diego County, HPWREN's 45Mbps (million bits per
second) wireless backbone connects the low-lying San Diego coastline with
the county's mountainous eastern region, home of the La Jolla and Pala
Native American reservations. This outreach is funded by the National
Science Foundation (NSF) as part of an experimental wireless network that
also links UCSD with the Mount Laguna Observatory (operated by San Diego
State University and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), an
earthquake-detection site (run by the Scripps Institution of Oceanography,
part of UCSD), and two large ecological reserves with multiple field
stations. UCSD received a $2.3 million NSF award in August 2000 to create,
demonstrate and evaluate the prototype wide-area network for research and
education.

Connecting the Native American communities posed special challenges for
the team led by computer scientist Hans-Werner Braun and geophysicist
Frank Vernon of UCSD. Foremost among these is the rugged terrain where the
reservations are located - ranging from valleys with elevation of 2,000
feet above sea level to mountain peaks at 5,000 feet. "There are no
line-of-sight views of existing microwave towers from the sites," Braun
said. "And in the case of La Jolla, we didn't even have access to electric
grid power on the mountain ridge edge of the reservation."

That necessity prompted HPWREN staff to design a system of
solar arrays and batteries for beaming digital signals where land--based
lines aren't practical. After first testing the solar setup last fall, the
team deployed it in December on Palomar Mountain, which looms above the La
Jolla reservation.

La Jolla tribal members worked closely with the HPWREN team to prepare the
solar-powered system and antennae that would provide the reservation's
learning center with high-speed Internet connectivity. Now young and old
alike gather in the La Jolla and Pala learning centers to surf the
Internet at lightning speed.

"The UC San Diego collaboration with La Jolla provides an opportunity for
our learning center to receive access to technology and capabilities that
we otherwise would not have in our remote county area," said Jack Musick,
La Jolla tribal chairman. "We look forward to building educational
programs that allow children and adults to take advantage of the connectivity."

The project is exciting, Braun said, "because it's an interdisciplinary
effort to design a network that -- though experimental -- is robust enough
to be relied upon by researchers under even very adverse conditions,
including catastrophic earthquakes. HPWREN is developing such a system for
geophysicists, astronomers and ecologists, while demonstrating that the
same tools can connect under-served educational users at remote locations
like the Pala and La Jolla reservations."

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/