Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Italian cops reportedly seize netstrike.it servers; mirror site

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 05:57:02 -0400

This note gives me a chance to repeat what I have said in the past. My
sending IP out does NOT endorse an action, it tells you about things. djf

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: saloxin () squat net
Subject: Re: IP: Italian cops reportedly seize netstrike.it servers;
mirror site
From: remco () rc6 org (Remco B. Brink)
Date: 14 Aug 2001 10:12:21 +0200

Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 16:25:46 +0200
From: nicholas <saloxin () squat net>
Subject: netstrike mirrored at http://www.contrast.org/netstrike

netstrike.it is now mirrored at
http://www.contrast.org/netstrike

There was quite a lot of discussion internally on contrast.org about
hosting netstrike. They provide a howto for manual ddos attacks, in
a social framework. We at contrast.org do not approve of ddos
attacks. But netstrike was taken offline by italian police. It
deserves it place on the web. It is mirrored across the world, and
on contrast.

Netstrike most certainly does not deserve a place on the web and the analogy
with a peaceful sit-in is totally wrong in my opinion.

Netstrike promotes DDOS attacks, which apart from being extremely annoying
and in some countries most likely (if not already) illegal, severely disrupt
normal network traffic and cost quite a lot of money to more than just the
company responsible for the content on one specific site.

The biggest problem is that huge amounts of traffic hardly ever influence
just one particular URL. It also affects customers of the ISP the attacked
site is run on, their uplink provider, people using the attacked site etc
and will therefor disrupt all kinds of network traffic that is totally
unrelated to the attacked site. Think DNS, mail and similar traffic here.

In my opinion the Italian police (or the "fascist italian state" as they
so humbly put it) was very right in confiscating their equipment.

If a project like Netstrike would take out *our* uplink provider because
it's hosting a site that they don't agree with then I'd love to hear
their explanation on why that should cost the company I work for money.

Besides, who are they to decide what should and should not be on the net?

regards,
Remco

--
Remco B. Brink - SOL Børs A/S systemsdeveloper - http://www.norge-invest.no