Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: vote trading and Internet voting

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 12:33:34 -0500

Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 10:16:34 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Subject: Re: IP: vote trading and Internet voting

At 04:36 AM 11/3/2000, Ed Gerck wrote:

I also think that enforcement of no vote trading would require as a
minimum a violation of individual privacy.

It is often the case that movements which advocate the violation of
law are telltale signs of bad law and/or a badly engineered system.

In this case, the problems with existing law are twofold. First, the
archaic mechanism known as the Electoral College effectively
disenfranchises voters in states which are dominated by a single
political party and/or wish to vote for third party candidates. I
live in the state of Wyoming, and know that it matters not one bit
how I vote; my state's Electoral College votes will be cast for
Republican candidate du jour regardless of whom I would choose.

The second, related problem is that voters cannot indicate a
second choice. A "single transferable vote" system would allow
a voter who favored a third party candidate to say, "This third
party candidate is my first choice, but if s/he cannot win, cast
my vote for this second choice." This system avoids the dilemma
being faced by voters in this election who endorse the views of
Ralph Nader, but realize that if they vote for him they may
compromise their second choice (Al Gore) and send the politician
they LEAST favor (George W. Bush) to the White House.

--Brett Glass