Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re:vote trading and Internet voting

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:46:55 -0500

Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 09:50:41 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Barry Steinhardt <Barrys () aclu org>
Subject: Re: IP: vote trading and Internet voting

Dave,

I thought your readers my be interested in the suit the ACLU has brought
to against the California officials who have attempted to shut down Voter
Exchange.com. The shut down orders represent the worst sort knee jerk
action against speech on the Internet which occurs routinely and is well
protected off-line.

Barry Steinhardt

ACLU Press Release: 11-02-00 -- ACLU Charges Political Censorship,
Challenges CA's Shutdown of Votexchange.com

  Thursday, November 2, 2000
  LOS ANGELES  The ACLU affiliates of Southern California and San Diego
  announced today that they will seek a temporary restraining order against
  California Secretary of State Bill Jones, who threatened criminal
prosecution
  against a voter discussion and strategizing web site called Voteswap 2000.
  As a result of a letter Jones sent to Voteswap, that web site and two
others,
  including the ACLU client votexchange2000.com, decided to shut down
this week
  rather than run the risk of being prosecuted. The ACLU is also filing the
  lawsuit on behalf of a prospective voter. The National Voting Rights
Project
  joins the ACLU as co-counsel in the case.

  "Votexchange2000 and other similar web sites have a clear political
message,"
  said Peter Eliasberg, staff attorney at the ACLU of Southern
California, "and
  that qualifies them for the highest level of protection under the First
  Amendment, whether or not Secretary Jones approves of their message or
aim."
  "Jones's interpretation of this statute is so far-reaching," he added,
"that
  it could encompass a vast array of voting-related behavior and speech
which we
  all recognize as perfectly legitimate, even if we don't practice them
  ourselves."

  The vote discussion and matching sites sprang up as early as October 1,
and
  several were launched recently in response to an on-line opinion piece
  advocating that voters get together on-line and strategize about how to
  accomplish their shared aims. Scores of thousands of potential voters have
  visited the sites since they were launched.

  Republican Secretary of State Bill Jones cracked down on the innovative
  discussion of voting strategies, claiming that sites which host and
facilitate
  such discussions violate California's Election Code ยง 18521, which
prohibits
  offering payment or any other "valuable consideration" to people so
that they
  will or will not vote.

  ACLU attorneys say the law is not applicable, or, if construed to be
  applicable, that it is not, in that case, Constitutionally sound.
  "Discussing and agreeing to a co-operative voting strategy is absolutely
  distinct from offering or receiving payment for a vote," said
Eliasberg. "This
  is not equivalent to handing someone a five-dollar bill -- it is an
obviously
  unenforceable and unverifiable personal pledge to vote in a certain way."
  "Jones's interpretation of this law could conceivably qualify any kind of
  speech as an inducement," he added. "If I promise to commend a person for
  voting in a way I approve of, is that offering an inducement?"

  Eliasberg offered the following examples of voting-related behavior and
speech
  that Jones's interpretation of the law would make criminal:
 Two spouses discuss their vote, realize they disagree on every important
  issue, and agree that, since they're cancelling one another out,
neither will
  vote.

Two friendly legislators who disagree with one another's positions arrange
  not to vote on two separate occasions, when one, then the other, is
absent,
  thus cancelling out the effect of their absences on the final decisions
made.
 ; A politician such as Governor George Bush or Vice President Al Gore
offers a
  monetary inducement in the form of a tax cut to a voter.

  A politician, during tough economic times, promises "a chicken in every
pot"
  if voters cast their vote for him.
   A political columnist urges voters to do exactly what the web sites in
  question urge them to do.
  "Bill Jones seems to be afraid of the Internet and the powers of
expression
  and association that it gives to people," said Eliasberg. "That power of
  combining immediate association and direct speech is the reason people
have
  sought to regulate the Internet more strictly than other media. I don't
  believe that Jones would have made the same threats if the same content
had
  been expressed in a more traditional medium such as a newspaper column
or a
  call-in radio show."
  "Jones and other government officials and agencies need to take
notice," said
  Eliasberg. "The ACLU will not allow the Internet to become the First
Amendment
  punching bag, to become the one medium in which we allow the government
to act
  out its habitual suspicion of public free speech and free association."