Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Undue sole credit

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 08:31:51 -0500

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:43:05 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Subject: Re: IP: Undue sole credit

If anything, Buchanan is the accidental beneficiary of an extremely
poorly (and, according to Florida law, illegally) designed ballot,
an archaic voting system, and election judges who were unwilling
or unable to help confused and elderly voters sort the system out
at the polls. Not only did approximately 2,500 people vote for
Buchanan by mistake (see the interactive scatter plot at

http://cuwu.editthispage.com/2000/11/08

for dramatic evidence of this), but 19,000 more had their ballots
voided because they thought that they had to punch two holes: One
for President and one for Vice President.

Regardless of which candidate one favors (personally, I did not
much like any of the choices with which I was presented), it is
clear that the dysfunctional system caused the will of the people
to be misrepresented. The only way to register the voters'
intentions correctly is to redo the vote in Palm Beach County, as
well as in any other place where so many election irregularities
were noted.

Readers of the IP list might be interested in Dan Bricklin's excellent
collection of information relating to "ballot usability" at

http://danbricklin.com/log/ballotusability.htm

--Brett Glass