Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: NYT Digital Commerce: Mergers Threaten Internet's Informal System of Data Exchange

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 05:55:54 -0500

http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/02/biztech/articles/14digi.html

February 14, 2000

DIGITAL COMMERCE

Mergers Threaten Internet's Informal System of Data Exchange

By DENISE CARUSO

Last week's Web site attacks were a vivid reminder that technology's sword
of individual empowerment has a wicked double edge. But the term for the
attack technique -- denial of service -- has the potential to assume an
equally ominous meaning as telecommunications giants continue to merge
their large holdings.

As we know, the Internet is a network of networks. In the beginning of its
commercial ascendancy in 1995, this meant that the largest of the Internet
service companies -- known as backbone providers -- had to interconnect
with their competitors.

Using the network access points, or NAPs, that were formerly financed by
the federal government, they built businesses delivering data among
networks. And in the early days, not much more than a handshake between
backbone engineers was needed to ensure that these companies would pass
along one another's data, all for the greater good (and growth) of the
market.

This "you scratch mine, I'll scratch yours" arrangement is known as peering.

<snip>