Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Friendly Trojan (fwd)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:17:41 -0500

From: Paul Tanenbaum <pjt () ARL ARMY MIL>
Subject: Friendly Trojan
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:55:14 EST

All,
     In an otherwise unrelated email message, Dave Towson wrote the
following, which I thought this crowd might be interested in:
     Paul

     At home, I clear the web cache for both IE and Netscape with every
boot, so any info that could be gleaned from the cache would only apply to
the current day's browsing.  And at work, I clear the caches each day at
1700 via the Windows task scheduler.  But I recently encountered another
form of snooping that may be far more pervasive than I realize.  I received
a message from a friend saying she had sent me an electronic birthday card
that I could pick up at a specified web site.  When I picked it up, it
played some music that was billed as being encoded in MIDI format.  There
was a note near the bottom of the page that offered a free music playing
browser plugin that sounded pretty neat, so I investigated.  In the "fine
print" when I went to download the plugin was a cryptic note about the
plugin including "webhancer" technology.  That raised a flag with me, so I
searched for and found a pointer to webhancer.  It is a client that runs in
the background and sends to the webhancer site information on such things
as DNS lookup times, connection speeds, page opening times and page abandon
rates.  It does this for all web-related activities, and not just for the
one that Trojaned it into your system.  Now, I wonder how many other
freebies carry such Trojans and don't have the courtesy to warn the
recipient.

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/