Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Microsoft and so called independent analysts

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:29:55 -0400

Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:09 +0100 (BST)
From: wendyg () cix compulink co uk (Wendy Grossman)
Subject: Re: IP: Microsoft and so called independent analysts
To: farber () cis upenn edu

 > >There really should be a requirement that any press or analyst
 > >should have to disclose help or payment from a vendor in the
 > >preparation of an article or financial support for their
 > >organization.

Even in the UK, where there's a much more liberal attitude towards
accepting "freebies" (that is, permanent loans of equipment, press
trips, etc.), I know of no one who's accepted direct payment for
specific articles.  What is much more damaging long-term is first of all
the practice of requiring journalists to sign NDAs as a condition of
attending certain briefings or being supplied with advance technical
information.  Journalists here of my acquaintance defend this practice
on the grounds that the company has a right to protect products in
development, and that they themselves will be crippled in trying to
write about the new technologies without the information.  Perhaps.  My
own view, however, is that slowly but surely the NDAs lure journalists
into a cozy relationship with the mfrs; being asked to sign an NDA is,
for some (though not all) I'm sure flattering in terms of the
journalist's sense of the importance of the material s/he's being
allowed to have.

In the UK (though not, I believe, in the US), a number of journalists
also supplement their income by writing corporate and/or PR work.  They
seem confident this doesn't affect their ability to be objective.

To be fair, though, it would be difficult or impossible to write
persistently about technology without *some* kind of help -- it's in the
nature of things that when you are overworked, on deadline, and need
help understanding some technical point, the fastest and most logical
place to seek an explanation is the product's mfr and/or its PR people.

What seems to me more common is that the large influx of newcomers into
technology reporting as tech has moved into the mainstream gives PR
people scope to push their view of the world to people who do not have
the knowledge or experience to put their claims into perspective.  A
case in point happened here in the UK a couple of years ago, when
mainstream interviewer Brian Appleyard wrote up a visitation with Bill
Gates.  He bought wholesale the Microosft PRs' (and to be fair, lots of
the PR people employed by major companies are new, young, and ignorant,
too, and buy what they're told -- the turnover is astonishing) claim
that MS invented BASIC.  His piece appeared in the Independent.  How
many journalists read that and believed it, and will now repeat it as
fact?

And how about the day that the London Times allowed Microsoft to buy the
entire edition and distribute it free to celebrate the launch of Windows
95?

wg